Creating a Trading/ Investing Track Record

I was wondering if Stockscafe could pull data together and amalgamate it into a document that can serve as a trading track record or for that matter a investing trackrecord.

Constructive thoughts please
Experienced traders please feel free to give some thoughts as to what else need to be included in a trading track record?

Philosophy I subscribe to
I believe that we should make a norm to document the reasons for your trade that would really help us to be accountable as for the reason why we made that investment in the first place

These are some of the titles i use on my excel sheet

1. Trade Symbol: The symbol or ticker of the traded instrument (e.g., stock, currency pair, commodity)
  2. Trade Size: The size or quantity of the traded instrument (e.g., number of shares, lot size, contract size).
  3. Entry Price: The price at which the trade was entered.
  4. Exit Price: The price at which the trade was exited."
  5. Trade Date: The trade on which the trade was executed
  6. Trade Strategy/Rationale: A brief explanation of the trading strategy or rationale behind entering the trade, including any technical or fundamental analysis used.
  7. Market Conditions: A description of the prevailing market conditions or factors that influenced the trade.
  8. Notes/Comments: Any additional comments, observations, or lessons learned from the trade.

This is just a quick write up from ChatGPT about what a Trading track record is:

A trading track record typically includes information and data about an individual’s or entity’s trading activities. While the specific requirements may vary depending on the purpose and context, here are some common elements often found in a trading track record:

1. Trade History: A comprehensive list or log of executed trades, including the date, time, security or instrument traded, quantity, entry price, exit price, and profit or loss for each trade.
  2. Performance Metrics: Key performance indicators (KPIs) that help evaluate the trading performance, such as total return, average return per trade, win rate (percentage of profitable trades), maximum drawdown (the largest peak-to-trough decline), risk-reward ratio, and any other relevant metrics.
  3. Time Period: The time period covered by the track record, indicating whether it is a monthly, quarterly, yearly, or cumulative record.
  4. Trading Strategy: A description of the trading strategy employed, outlining the approach, methodologies, indicators, or signals used for making trading decisions.
  5. Risk Management: Details about risk management techniques implemented, such as position sizing, stop-loss levels, profit targets, and any other risk controls or safeguards in place.
  6. Benchmark Comparison: Performance comparison against a relevant benchmark, such as a market index or an industry-specific measure, to provide context and assess the relative performance.
  7. Supporting Documents: Additional supporting documents, such as brokerage statements, trade confirmations, or account statements, that verify the accuracy of the track record.

It’s important to note that transparency and accuracy are crucial when presenting a trading track record. If you’re seeking professional advice or presenting your track record for investment purposes, you may also want to consider consulting with a financial advisor or compliance expert to ensure compliance with applicable regulations and best practices.

1 Like

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for the chat earlier today and this very clear description.

1. Trade Symbol => Doable
  2. Trade Size => Doable
  3. Entry Price => Doable
  4. Exit Price => Doable
  5. Trade Date => Doable
  6. Trade Strategy/Rationale => Can simply use Notes?
  7. Market Conditions => Do you mean for this to be generated by system or users?
  8. Notes/Comments => Can simply use Notes?

Thanks,
Evan

Hi Evan,

1. Trade Strategy/Rationale => Can simply use Notes?
  • Yes notes can be used, maybe there can be a template to write the trade strategy in a way that a industry practioner (trader) might actually document/record their trades?
    This is the part I am already out of my depth need some experienced & profitable traders to provide insights.
    The end goal would be for an individual to be able to export this data into an excel sheet which they could send to a trading/ investment firm and show you trackrecord and your decisions and why you did what you did and you success rate in when trading or investing in the markets.
  1. Market Conditions => Do you mean for this to be generated by system or users?
  • This is to be generated by the system. to bench mark the time the trade decision was made against the market condition at that point in time.
  • that can allow us to come up with some calculations to access if the trade decision was a good one at that point in time.
  1. Notes/Comments => Can simply use Notes?
  • yup this can I think this is the unstructured section which is free text to make small quick notes

Thanks,
Joshua

I think we should be more general in the use case. “send to a trading/ investment firm and show you trackrecord.” is too specific.

This make sense.

Perfect.

In fact, the first version of the feature could simply use Closed Positions and see how they compare against indexes (e.g. ES3 or SPY or anything user choose) and also some basic stats on the win/lose ratio and average or median P&L %. This would be useful for most investors/traders.

Ah yes too narrow, I think a generalised end goal would be for a investor or trader to be able to make use stockscafe platform to keep track of the efficacy of their trades in alignment with the way professionals do it (industry standards) I feel that that would add more accountability and by tracking our performance we could improve ourselves along the way

1 Like