SGX:BTOU - ManulifeReit USD : No witholding tax?

As I understand this is a Singapore stock that doesn’t bear any US withholding tax if we submit the W8-BEN form. Do you have the same understanding? Assuming we are not US citizens…

http://investor.manulifeusreit.sg/tax_info.html

I own this stock. No with holding tax so far.

1 Like

They structured it in a complicated way such that they avoided the tax. Few months back there was a risk US new tax regulations will change this, so all the US-based S-REITS dropped. However, the REITS managed to overcome this by restructuring thru another tax domain…can go google if you have interest in tax stuff. So yep, no withholding tax

2 Likes

Are you using a custodian account or CDP?
I am trying to figure out how to complete the currency election form to receive the dividends in USD.

They sent a packet not long after the ex-date, in which it there is a form to allow you to tick the currency option. Is the due date the return not over yet?

I have bought only very recently. Thanks for your reply.

Do you know if we can choose USD dividend payments even if we purchase using SGD?

I paid in USD and it is in CDP. The form I got was a generic one. I ticked the box to opt for USD cheque and I am waiting for my very first distribution from them end of the month. :slight_smile:

So I guess you might get the same form after the next announcement then you can decide. If not, then please let me know that I was wrong above. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

For those that use SGD for currency election, how are the rates determined?
I suppose it should be better than what the banks offer if we convert by ourselves?

If you want an answer from the source, then contact the REIT manager.

I have always found them responsive and helpful.

And they are paying themselves more than a small pile of $$$…

2 Likes