Tracking StashAway under Other Asset

Not sure if this is covered in other threads as i can’t seem to find it…
What is the best way to track StashAway (or similar) as “Other Asset”?

@evankoh I am making this a wiki because I believe these are good questions and the answers are likely to be useful to many.

@evankoh Disclaimer: I am answering many of the questions with very limited knowledge of StashAway.

@evankoh Assumption: I am answering many questions with the assumption that StashAway (like UnitTrusts) have concept of units and price of each unit changes daily based on the underlying assets. (I am guessing StashAway either have micro-UnitTrusts where only you are owning a specific weightage of basket of stock or a few fixed UnitTrusts of different estimated risk/volatility).

Q1a: I have created an Asset (picked “deposit” as category as i think it doesn’t matter?), and added by first “BUY” transaction with the amount that I initially thrown in.

@evankoh Yes, the category does not matter too much as far as I remember. It is mostly for your own reference. However, I think “Stock” category might be more appropriate since StashAway are investing your money mostly (if not solely) in Stocks.

Q1b: Do I put in the “units” as 1? What happens when I do another lump sum investment (or for those people who do monthly auto-investment), do I also put unit = 1 per transaction? Reason why I asked as “units” may seems odd or not intuitive when it comes to related yield or “dividend” calculations (or maybe not used at all for “Other Asset”)?

@evankoh Again, I am not 100% sure how StashAway works but I am assuming that like any ETFs, there are concepts of units. If you put in X amount now, you get X/UnitPrice shares now. So, please do not put unit = 1 but the actual number of units that you are allocated.

Q2a: Am I right to say it is up to me , how often I update the “recent values”, e.g. weekly, monthly, randomly?

@evankoh Yes, you can add as and when you like (i.e. randomly). StocksCafe will use the latest value as current value.

Q2b: This only reflects on the Total Asset portion (Dashboard page) and no where else (like those pretty graphs under Report) right?

@evankoh Yes, for now that is surely the case. It is not related to Portfolio Report graphs. One main reason why we cannot mix this with Stock Portfolio Report is because StocksCafe do not (and cannot guarantee) having daily values of assets listed in “Other Assets”. Without daily values, it cannot properly compute many numbers.

Q3a: Regards to dividends earned from StashAway - as they always reinvest dividends, do I still need to track them as “Payments” or would this have been factored when I update “Recent Value” ?

@evankoh “Recent Value” is meant to be Recent Value per unit. You should not (and cannot) track “Payments” there. Please use “Payments”.

Q3b: I believe “Payments” will count towards the “Financial Freedom Index” which I think is accurate - but what about “Amount per unit” under the Payment page? Intuitively I think this would be "dividends received / numbers of units held during “XD”, where units could be varied depending how many times we add new transactions? Meaning manual calculation would be required here - but what is the use of maintaining the “amount per unit” (assuming this isn’t used in any other calculation/report) ? Would it be easier if we just capture “dividends” received as a lump sum for that particular payout date? If so, probably we need not track “units” (under transaction) or “amount per unit” (under payment) unless these are mandatory and useful to track for other asset classes?

@evankoh This is a long question. I hope you did not forget to breathe when asking it :slight_smile:
In short: Yes, you are right. Perhaps, it will make life of some easier if StocksCafe simply have an additional field “Total Amount” when adding Payment.
Would you mind creating a ticket to add the additional field?

@evankoh Although I still believe the option of “Amount Per Unit” would might still be useful to some asset classes. At least, internally, StocksCafe needs to compute the Amount per unit to know how much dividends each unit/shares of the asset have earned.

Sorry for the long post but hope to get some input from anyone and hope this thread helps other StockCafe users here.

@evankoh No worries. Always feel free to ask questions.

I also tried to track my StashAway deposits in StocksCafe and had a hard time :frowning:

The ETFs in StashAway are from USX so how about adding a new portfolio and importing the transactions from StashAway into the portfolio?

That said, u probably won’t be able to track the deposit amounts, fees & dividends.

Speaking of import, Evan, the import doesn’t seem to work. I get an error saying column 6 needs a date but the date is in column 7 in ur import instructions & sample. Hope u can help look into this.

Can you send me (privately) a sample of what you are trying to import? Would help me in solving this.

I am sorry to hear this but if you all have specific suggestions on how StocksCafe can make it easier for you all, I am more than happy to know about them.

agreed, that is what i end up doing, exporting all the buy transactions from stashaway and make them into CSV file for import into StocksCafe’s new portfolio. import eventually works for me, though i had to try a few times (and delete the entire portfolio, since there was no bulk delete/edit of transactions) to retry again when i put the values incorrectly. make sure your date format is correct . below are some samples transactions of mine hope it helps

1,USX,TLH,0.0312,USD,133.97,2019-03-11,4.18,,
 1,USX,TIP,0.1484,USD,111.32,2019-03-11,16.52,,
 1,USX,XLY,0.189,USD,109.52,2019-03-11,20.70,,
1 Like

When you delete the portfolio, it would bulk delete the transactions, right?

yep - exactly what i was trying to say. No bulk delete hence I had to delete portfolio.
Still acceptable for the first time import into new portfolio. Guess for now we have to be extra careful for the next batch of import (likely next month), otherwise have to delete and re-import 100% of transactions for that portfolio.

Yes, this seems non ideal. Any suggestion on how to make bulk delete easier? To me, deleting the portfolio is bulk delete.

One idea: have the ability to delete by date of transaction