Your Money or Your Life?

Just started this book on personal finance of the same title. In it contains a 9 step programme to transform your relationship with money.

It also contains some Money Talk Questions which I am keen to learn and hear about from fellow users and to share my own personal journey with money.

Q1: Who gave you your first lesson about money? What did you learn?
A1: Robert Kiyosaki! I have no idea why, but I bought his ‘Rich Dad, Poor Dad’ towards the end of my NS obligation. Reading it completely changed my concept and thinking about money and how money is a necessary good/evil and it really depends on how it is being used.

Q2: What messages did you get about money growing up? Where did you get them from? Parents, teachers, ads or…?
A2: My parents were pretty laissez-faire when it comes to money. I could expect a healthy allowance each month, and they did not pressure me into not buying or saving it up.

Q3: Talk about an early memory of money and how it affects you now?
A3: I remembered having my first bank book (POSB Squirrel) in primary school and how it felt good have interest credited into it. It certainly feels like being given money for free. I guess I am now more for income generating stocks where I can buy, hold and wait patiently for dividends.

Q4: Talk about a money mistake. What would you do differently?
A4: In 2012, I started reading more widely and was drawn to options trading. Without a more solid understanding of it, I dived into it head first, and was knocked out with a bang! No stop-loss, no backup plan, I was doomed to fail. I lost pretty much of my entire capital and it set me back a great deal. I would probably have stayed out of it, or to understand options trading more and the necessary steps needed to protect my capital before having a go at it.

Q5: What does ‘enough’ mean to you?
A5: Enough would be when I can choose to work or not work, while still supporting my family.

Q6: What do you have (in storage or closet) that you would be better off without? Why do you keep it?
A6: I moved to my new place last year, and do not have anything in excess yet!

2 Likes

For me, it is similar. I must say “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” is the first book that gave an alternative view beyond, “Study Hard, Get Good Education then You will have a Good Job and Life”

Q2: What messages did you get about money growing up? Where did you get them from? Parents, teachers, ads or…?
When I see this question, somehow it reminded me of this song/message => ”钱不是万能 但没钱却万万不能“ (Translate: Money is not omnipotent but you cannot have no money)(Youtube

In my memory, my parents often argued over money which eventually led to divorce when I was 12.

When I was 19, persuaded my dad to buy me a COE Honda Civic. In retrospective, while I understand it is something that I should not have done, it really offered a different university experience :joy:

When your (current and future) passive income is more than your (current and future) monthly expenses.

Q6: What do you have (in storage or closet) that you would be better off without? Why do you keep it?
Hmm… This is tough. But living in Japan means I have smaller house and do not have much extra storage and much of closet are clothes for four different seasons :snowman_with_snow:

I would probably credit http://sgyounginvestment.blogspot.sg/ for this. I didn’t read any books, even till today.

I was taught the notion of saving for a rainy day by my parents so I grew up being very conscious of the cost of things.

I don’t really have such memories.

I missed out on a few opportunities because I only know the cost of things but not its value. If I had a chance to redo, I would probably place more emphasis on value than cost.

When work no longer becomes a necessity for sustenance. When I am able to provide for my family even without working.

The only thing I have are model kits but I don’t think I would be better off without them. They’re therapeutic for me.