Tracking option trades

Hi, I am trying to use “Other Assets” to keep track of my option trades performance. For every new trade, I have to:

1. Add a new asset with unique name which consists of the ticker, expiration date and strike price.
  2. Add a transaction with the pricing info, commissions, etc.

Is there a simpler way to do it, like combining 2 steps into 1?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Sure. Let me queue this feature request which is to combine the two steps into one.

Cheers,
Evan

1 Like

Awesome, thank you so much!

Hi Evan,

Hopping onto this thread.

Can the options be added under portfolio instead of Other Assets? I really like the daily performance reported for my portfolio but would also like to add my options gains as part of my portfolio. Right now, the way I do it is when i close an option, I will create an buy and sell transaction and record the gain from the option trade. However, this will cause a big spike in the TWR chart in my portfolio.

I would only like to record the gains/loss from the option trade in my portfolio instead without it comparing with the underlying stock which result in my TWR chart jumping. Wonder if that is possible.

Hi,

It is difficult because if I do not have daily data for many options and warrants. But if you can find the ticker in StocksCafe then it can be supported.

Cheers,
Evan

1 Like

Hi Evan, I’m new here and been following some of the threads on option trades request. I’m with the others, if we can track it under ‘portfolio’ that’d be fantastic as it gives us good visibility in term of ‘option portfolio’ performance. At the same time I understand Stockscafe do not have daily data for options and that’s really fine even if it means without the live monitoring - since we enter and exit rather quickly I don’t think the daily data for options are crucial. Please consider it.

Hi Zhaohan,

Thank you for reaching out. Without daily pricing, many other computations would mess up such as time-weighted, current p&l, xirr etc etc. So, once we allow assets that StocksCafe do not have daily pricing for, it might render many features unusable.

I would recommend using “Other Assets” feature for this use case.

Cheers,
Evan

Is it possible to add the Profit / Loss from the Other Assets into the Overall Portfolio?

Also, when you plan to make changes as requested by @zq9250 , maybe you can evaluate the feasibility of showing the options available for a particular stock, like how they do at https://www.optionsprofitcalculator.com/

Cheers

Is it possible to add the Profit / Loss from the Other Assets into the Overall Portfolio?

Will prefer to create this into Dashboard more where we combine Stock Portfolio and Other Assets.

Also, when you plan to make changes as requested by @zq9250 , maybe you can evaluate the feasibility of showing the options available for a particular stock, like how they do at https://www.optionsprofitcalculator.com/

Which request? Also, to be honest, do not think StocksCafe can support options/derivatives anytime soon.

The one which started this thread. But ya, I understand where you are coming from…This is StocksCafe and not OptionsCafe :slight_smile:

I noticed an issue in Other Assets Profit .

Ive the following Summary

You can see that the average price is 0. But the detail of that option has 2 txns

it looks like its not calculating the average correctly.

Okay. Created a bug ticket -> https://stocks.cafe/friend/viewissue?issue_id=1977
Will take a look at it later.

2 Likes

Took a quick look at this. Seems like short-selling is not handled properly in Other Assets which is weird because I thought I did.

Will take a closer look at it again in a few days.

No worries…Thanks for the update.

Hi,

I just released the ability to do simple tracking of options => https://stocks.cafe/options/

Do try it out.

Cheers,
Evan

1 Like

Thats Awesome work. Thanks. Btw how is the current P/L calculated?

There is no current P&L. Only Total P&L which is simply total premiums received - total premiums paid.

Got it. Do you plan to have an option to manually input the latest premium and hence calculate current P/L like how’s its done when using options under Other Assets ?

I would prefer to make it more automated if we are going to do anything about that. That is, find a way to get daily option pricing.

Noticed in the Options section, 1 Lot is equal to 100 shares.
But HKEX Options, if I am not wrong it is 1 lot equal to 500 shares.

Ah… I designed this for US options. Did not think of other places.

If this is true, I need to make update. Can you create a new feature request to support HK?